How to subdivide your land on the Central Coast

surveyor using total station next to a row of houses
Posted on

How to subdivide your land on the Central Coast

Subdividing a piece of land could be done for several reasons – to diversify the area or to sell off the part of the land or partial construction, etc. It is always good to subdivide a large piece of land for any future diversification or planning. There are quite a lot of restrictions and requirements before subdividing your land in Central Coast.

The potential subdivision of the mainland in most of the Australian states is generally determined by the below three main factors:

  1. If the land has the correct zoning for subdivision
  2. If the land meets the state-defined planning policies and requirements
  3. If the land can meet any other specific provisions for residential infill developments in the Local Planning Policies.

Important project feasibility to be considered for a subdivision is any specific requirement by the local council, which often requires in-depth research and professional advice.

Subdividing your land in the Central Coast

While looking to subdivide a parent land in the Central Coast a key planning factor is the zoning of the land and site-specific restrictions.

Land Zoning– In NSW, the Local Environmental Plan (LEP) has specified certain zones that can be subdivided. If the zone allows subdivision, LEP will set out standard lot size for subdivision. The prescribed standard lot size specifies the minimum size for a land that is to be divided and the minimum size for the new plot of land.

Site-Specific Restrictions– These restrictions include topography, fire-prone status, ecological constraint, contaminated land zone, heritage value, and others. These restrictions prevent a piece of land from being divided even if it falls under the division zone.

Section 149 Certificate (Planning Certificate) can be obtained from the council office that states the exact planning controls for a site.

If the land doesn’t meet the standard lot size, then the NSW planning system provides relaxation from the standard development process. The developer can make a written application to the council stating that compliance with regards to a standard development project is unreasonable and unnecessary.

It is advisable to take the help of a professional surveying company as there are few restrictions that cannot be enacted. The professional service providers are well-aware of the process to deal with the restrictions. The Surveyors Central Coast can help you with your regular survey needs and for any special needs related to subdivision and filing for an exception with the council.

Subdividing Land in Central Coast (New South Wales):

  • Feasibility assessment
  • Detail / Contour Survey
  • Concept Lot Layout Plan
  • Development Application (DA) preparation (including Statement of Environmental Effects)
  • Lodgement of DA with the local Council
  • Plan of Subdivision (Deposited Plan) preparation
  • Creation of Easements and Restrictions (preparation of 88B documents)
  • Electronic lodgement and registration of Deposited Plan with LRS for creation of Title documents


Surveyors Central Coast helps you in dealing with complicated government legislations, document preparation, and gives much-required consultation. We can assist with certain specific items or can handle the entire process right from subdivision design to electronic lodgement and registration. Our expert surveyor is just a phone call away for all your surveying needs. Reach out to us now to get a free no-obligation quote.